Vancouver - Why not

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Boldly going where no bowling alley attendant has gone before


Movement on the job front today as ive got myself not one but two jobs! The first, i started on Monday, possibly the most bizarre job ive ever had at a bowling alley made in the 1930's called Commadore Lanes. I work for 3 chinese guys none of which can speak particularly good english. You'd thing my job wouldnt be so complicated, but im going to my third shift tomorrow and im in my myself, having to cash up the tills, fix the lanes (which break at least once every 30mins), clean the place, and work on two tills. Bit of a nightmare job really, but when your desperate for money what can u do :)

I also heard today that im starting at one of the 4 million starbucks in vancouver (seriously in a city the size of leeds theres probably about 50!!). This jobs probably going to be a bit better and for getting the job Ellie gets $50 for refering me which is excellent! Still looking for a "proper job" though. if i could get some marketing work id be looking at $12-18 per hour as opposed to $8.

The most rediculous thing did happen today though. Half way through my shift walked in a bald man with a dodgy Canadian accent wearing scruffy clothes asking where the pool tables were. I pointed him in the right direction and noticed he really looked like Patrick Stewart aka Captain Jean Luc Picard! The girl i was working with thought it definantly was so i went over and asked. He shook off his dodgy Canadian accent that he was obviously putting on and chatted away to me for 5mins. Not what you expect in a shoddy run down bowling alley on one of the scruffiest looking streets in Vancouver!! He seems a nice fella but soon left when i noticed who he was. Unfortunately he didnt tip me for his bottle of water but ill forgive him for that :)

Managed to make $20 tips today though which will go towards the Seattle fund! I've heard from reliable sources (Stenhouse) that its a great place but i think im more excited about who im going with rather than where im going :)

Anyway time for bed, leave some more comments itll give me something to read :)
Simonx

1 Comments:

  • enjoyed your recent update and impressed by your claim to fame!! star treck will have a whole new meaning now:}pleased you are having a good time send a postcard from seattle if you can spare the time.
    M xx

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home